KP is BUSY in November!

General Discussions & Announcements, Fishing Talk, Topics & Techniques, etc

Moderators: Al Millan, Gary Coe, HiTechKoke

KP is BUSY in November!

Postby Gary Coe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:03 pm

I thought I would post a note to update you on a few things and make you aware of some fun activities coming up soon.

While the long term Inland King picture may be in question because of continued legal wrangling, it is alive and well for now. TODAY, Shasta Lake is being planted with 69,000 Kings and 32,335 are being planted into Trinity Lake. As I understand it, the Crystal Hatchery has outdone themselves in fine fashion. The “fingerlings” are averaging 6.5 to 7.0 inches in length! The fish are often times little more than half that size. Fantastic!

If you would like to help out with our trout pen plants, the time is NOW! You are welcome at any of these plants, to look around, to say “hello” or to help out. Come On Down!

Tomorrow, Wednesday, November 14th, we will be planting both Collins Lake and Trinity Lake. Thursday we will be at our Lewiston Project and Friday will start our Shasta Lake plants and we’ll be at both Jones Valley and Silverthorn.

Next week, we’ll start off on Monday, November 19th , on the Sacramento Arm, planting Sugarloaf, Tsasdi’s Resort and Antler’s Marina. Tuesday, we will wind up on the McCloud Arm with our pens at Holiday Harbor and our NEW pen at the Shasta Caverns.

The New Melones pens are ready and waiting. Water temps prevent us from making a “hard-plant-date”. We have a special treat planned for NM this year. More to follow on Melones as soon as we have a date.

The Almanor fish are planted and doing very well. They were placed in the pens a week ago today. Thanks goes out to the Almanor Fishing Association. They do great work… and a lot of it! There’s a new twist up there this year that will prove interesting I’m sure. For those of you who don’t know, Almanor is our largest single pen culture project. Normally 50,000 fish are raised in the pens annually. They are usually all Eagle Lake Strain Rainbows. This year there are 30,000 Eagle Lakes and 20,000 Shasta Strain Rainbows. They are being kept in separate pens with documentation being kept on food consumption, growth rate, mortality rates etc. We’ll see what we learn and keep you informed.

All of this is possible because of our great membership and supporters. You are simply the best. Thank You.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
Gary L. Coe
President
Kokanee Power
CCIFKSF, Inc
Gary Coe
System Moderator

Return to Main